English Language Learners
In order to be eligible for English Learner (EL) services, the State of Minnesota requires that a student (1) has a home language other than English and (2) be determined by developmentally appropriate measures to lack the necessary English skills to participate fully in classes taught in English.
The following procedures are used by Mounds View Public Schools follows the Minnesota Department of Education’s guidelines to determine student eligibility for the English Learner program:
- A student is identified as a potential EL by the MN Language Survey when a home language other than English is indicated.
- The EL teacher will determine EL service eligibility based on:
- WIDA screener indicates eligible English language proficiency level
- Prior records that indicate the student was in EL service in a previous district
- The student’s parents are notified of the results and eligibility for EL services.
- After parents are notified, the EL student is placed into service and scheduled by EL staff.
- English proficiency of students receiving EL service will be assessed annually with the WIDA (World Class Instructional Design and Assessment) ACCESS 2.0 for ELs in February. If they are found to be proficient based on MDE exit criteria, they will be considered for exit from EL service. See more assessment information below.