Winter weather reminders
Unless otherwise notified, families should not expect instruction to occur on a school day cancelled for severe weather.
- In the event that severe winter weather causes poor road conditions or dangerous cold, the District may announce school cancellations.
- All families will receive a text, voicemail and e-mail message within 20 minutes of a decision to close school. If you haven’t received these messages, a decision to close or delay school has not been made, and schools are expected to be in session as usual. Always assume schools are in session, unless you hear or see differently from Mounds View Public Schools.
- When school is canceled, the District will notify parents by no later than 5:30 a.m. on the day of the late start or cancellation (possibly the evening before) using the following tools:
- Text message
- Voicemail message
- E-mail message
- Facebook pages
- 651-621-SNOW hotline recording
- District and school website posting
- The District will also notify local media outlets, but cannot guarantee if, when or how the media will report the information provided.
The contact information used to reach families for school closings and bus status notifications was supplied by families at the start of the school year (via health and emergency forms). Parents can confirm their contact information is up-to-date by logging into ParentVUE and reviewing and updating the account information. The front office staff at each school can also review and update contact information.
Schools could be canceled if...
- Buses won’t start or run dependably.
- Local road conditions in our neighborhoods are dangerous or impassable.
- Our neighborhoods experience sustained wind chills of 40 to 45 degrees below zero during the hours between morning bus pick ups and afternoon bus drop offs.
*Like neighboring districts, Mounds View will rely solely on forecasts provided by the National Weather Service –Twin Cities.
Thresholds for outdoor recess cancellation
If air temperatures reach 0 degrees and/or windchills reach 10 degrees below zero, outdoor recess will be cancelled at all six elementary schools and the kindergarten centers.
If schools have been cancelled, families should assume all school-sponsored and District activities have also been canceled. If an exception to this rule is made, families will be notified.
When school is canceled for severe weather-related conditions, YMCA will run Release Day programs at Bel Air Elementary School and Island Lake Elementary School. Inclement-weather Release Day Programs are open to children currently attending YMCA Before Care and/or After Care. Inclement weather program hours for Mounds View Public Schools are 6:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. For more information, please visit the YCare website.
On winter days when the metro-area traffic is significantly congested because of poor road conditions, parents should expect most school buses will be similarly delayed. Notification calls will be made as possible.